Tuesday 27 January 2015

Beautiful Bagan

What an amazing day ! 

I love this place.


Had to be up before dawn which felt like torture. Other Brits at the hotel were on the balloon trip too and kind of let me integrate. Slightly jealous of the group bonhomie they had, but then also think my way of doing this is very different and I'm not so cocooned. Think going down a dusty, dimly lit track to the Lonely Planet recommended restaurant last night was a million times better than playing it safe, hotel food with accompanying samey touristy music. Though less comfortable, it was worth every bit of discomfort in the old and bumpy taxi ride to see the look on the very young  driver's face ( 21 he said ???) when I gave him a generous tip. He'd had to pay to access the airport and initially refused my offer to reimburse him. On our shared journeys  - two separate trips in one day - I learned that he lives in a monastery ( with 80 other young men accommodated by the monks) and gets up at 5.30 a.m. to pray before breakfast every day before trying to make a meagre living from taxi driving. It allowed me a whole different experience to being driven in a much smarter, air conditioned hotel commissioned taxi or tour group luxury coach ( several came and went at the hotel) You learn so much more. He waited for me twice and barely factored that into the price.



Won't gush on about the balloon trip. Did start  off feeling really apprehensive ' What on earth am I doing ?' In my head and then when all the other tourists were donned in British weather walking gear ( fleeces and sensible shoes) and I was just in long sleeved cotton shirt and flip flops, felt a bit of a novice. But they were wrong, it was perfectly warm .The company had said ' wear cotton' I thought because of the hot climate but not so, if things go wrong, you set on fire more readily  if wearing synthetics !  OMG not what  I wanted to hear at 5.30a.m. A very impressive outfit ran the trip and our pilot earned complete confidence instantly. It wasn't until later I found out he was a Yorkshire man ( from Harrogate) Lived just down the road from Andy & Jill.

Once in the air, it wasn't a tiny bit scary - very serene in fact. I could have stayed there for hours. Thousands of temples and dozens of other hot air balloons made it a photo opportunity of a lifetime so inevitably everyone was crazily taking snaps - mainly on little cameras ( there were quite a lot of sedate looking seniors) Think possibly mine was the only ipad. Would like to do a duplicate trip where I didn't take photos ( nor did my fellow passengers). and just took it all in. Maybe they need to do a camera - free basket ????



Another highlight of today was going to a place the pilot's wife told me about this morning - an Action Aid  run shop selling hand made crafts and clothes ( all lovely. The charity supports and trains hundreds of women in poor villages so that they can become more independent.  Spoke to a fantastic French woman aid worker who talked about how her feminism drove her to this and how hopeful she was for a new way in this country with changing attitudes amongst the young.

Unfortunately by Burmese standards, I'm morbidly obese, so can't fit into anything. If I'd  had more time, they did do 'made to measure.' 

This is such a poor country, I just felt so overwhelmed by the enormity of what needs to be done to help and how little a contribution my small purchases seemed. Want to do more when I get home. It puts a lot into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment